WSO2 is proud to be part of the Apache Axis2 1.0 release, the core engine and platform for next generation Web services and Service Oriented Architectures (SOA), Axis2 is a huge leap forward from its Axis and SOAP origins, being highly performant and extensible. Apache Axis2 is a complete re-design and re-write of the widely used Apache Axis SOAP stack to build on the lessons learnt from Apache Axis. Apache Axis2 is more efficient, more modular and more XML-oriented than the older version. It is carefully designed to support the easy addition of plug-in "modules" that extend its functionality for features such as security and reliability. A module supporting WS-Security (Apache Rampart) is available immediately and a module supporting WS-Reliable Messaging (Apache Sandesha) will be available within the next a few days. Apache Axis2 not only supports SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2, but it also has integrated support for the widely popular REST style of Web services: the same business logic implementation can offer both a WS-* style interface as well as a REST style interface simultaneously. Apache Axis2 is built on Apache Axiom, a new high performant, pull-based XML object model that was released two days ago. Key features include -
- Programming model - Improved, XML-centric client API including full WSDL and policy support - Support for any message exchange pattern - Synchronous and asynchronous calls - Archived service deployment model supporting full service encapsulation with versioning support - Archived module deployment model supporting controlled
- Extensibility with versioning support - Hot deployment - WS-Policy driven code generation extensions - Flexible service lifecyle model - Support for querying service's WSDL (using ?wsdl), schema (using ?xsd) and policies (using ?policy)
- Supported specifications - SOAP 1.1 and 1.2 - Message Transmission Optimization Mechanism (MTOM), XML Optimized Packaging (XOP) and SOAP with Attachments - WSDL 1.1, including both SOAP and HTTP bindings - WS-Addressing (submission and final) - WS-Policy - SAAJ 1.1
- Transports - HTTP - SMTP - JMS - TCP
- Supported data bindings - Axis Data Binding (ADB) - XMLBeans - JibX - JaxMe
- Tools - WSDL2Java: Generate Java stubs and skeletons from a WSDL document. - Java2WSDL: Generate a WSDL document from a Java class. - Eclipse Plugins - Intellij Idea Plugins - Web application for administering Apache Axis2
- Extension modules - Apache Rampart: Supporting WS-Security (and soon WS-Policy) - Apache Sandesha2: Supporting WS-Reliable Messaging Apache Axis2 comes built in with a module that supports WS-Addressing.