Mountain View, CA – October 6, 2008 – WSO2, the open source SOA company, today announced the debut of WSO2 Data Services. The new WSO2 product lets database administrators (DBAs) expose data in minutes via a Web services application programming interface (API)—without programming.
With WSO2 Data Services, DBAs and database programmers now can contribute to a company’s service-oriented architecture (SOA) by creating WS-* style Web services and REST-style Web resources based on enterprise data. The WSO2 Data Services solution allows users to enter queries and map them into services and operations. The simple user interface enables anyone with a knowledge of the industry-standard SQL language to quickly create powerful data services. Once the query or stored procedure has been exposed as a service, it can be accessed across the network as a service or Web resource.
In its initial release, WSO2 Data Services supports access to data stored in relational databases such as Oracle, MySQL and IBM DB2 (virtually any database accessible via JDBC), as well as the comma-separated values (CSV) file format, and Excel spreadsheets. Services can be authenticated, encrypted and/or signed using the WS-Security and HTTP security standards, and the console includes a full security management capability. In addition, support for the WS-ReliableMessaging standard provides enterprise-level reliability.
The standalone WSO2 Data Services solution builds on the proven performance of the data services functionality within the WSO2 Web Services Application Server (WSAS) 2.0, which earned this year’s SearchSOA.com Product of the Year award in the Data Services/Integration category.
“There is significant demand among enterprises for an efficient and effective way to unlock data from a wide variety of sources, and expose this data as Web services for use within SOAs,” said Dr. Sanjiva Weerawarana, CEO of WSO2. “Our new WSO2 Data Services solution further democratizes SOA by providing a flexible product that anyone with fundamental data management knowledge can use immediately out of the box.”
WSO2 Data Services is based on the popular Apache Axis2 toolkit. Key features of the new product include:
- Data aggregation: administrators can create services that aggregate data from multiple data sources, in order to offer cleanly defined services to other departments and hide internal database details.
- Wizards for easy configuration: users can create and modify a service using either the graphical Web-based wizard or Eclipse plug-in wizard.
- XML configuration file format: XML is a familiar tool to both DBAs and programmers, and this allows service creation to be automated.
- Try-it tool: with the click of a button, the utility lets users test the data services they have created within the Data Services console.
- Customizable XML output: response data can be tailored as needed.
- Dual REST and WS-* support: REST resources access data using a unique URL for each record; WS-* services use typical Web service access to expose data.
- Built-in connection pooling support: the ability to establish a pool of reusable connections saves time and compute resources.
- Support for stored procedures and functions: it only takes a few mouse clicks to expose the stored procedures and functions that speed database operations as Web services.
- Built-in caching: cached responses to queries eliminate the system overhead of repeatedly returning the same XML response to clients.
- Throttling: IT professionals can prevent databases from being overloaded through rate-based throttling, which limits number of the service calls in a given time period, and concurrency-based throttling, which limits the number of simultaneous calls for a service.
“Heavyweight industry standards for data integration are not being widely deployed because of their inherent complexity,” said James Governor, principal analyst and founder of RedMonk. “WS02 is addressing this complexity with its Data Services tooling, which is designed for both XML Web Services and more lightweight REST-style resources.”Availability and Support
The WSO2 Data Services product is available for download today. As a fully open source solution released under the Apache License 2.0, it does not carry any software licensing or subscription fees. WSO2 offers a range of service and support options for the WSO2 Data Services product. These include support subscriptions, training, consulting, custom development and development support. For information on service and support packages, visit http://wso2.com.About WSO2
WSO2 is the open source SOA company founded by pioneers in Web services and the Apache Software Foundation Web services community. The company delivers the only tightly integrated, entirely open source middleware stack that is optimized for SOA. The WSO2 products address the core components of SOAs: service creation, connection, composition and governance. The company is backed by Intel Capital and maintains operations in the United States, United Kingdom and Sri Lanka. For more information, visit http://wso2.com, or check out WSO2 on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook , and Planet WSO2. for blogs.