WS02/C 1.0 Provides Unprecedented Ease in Building Secure, Robust, Reliable Web Services in C
Colombo, Sri Lanka – August 22, 2007 – WSO2, the open source middleware company, announced today the release of the WSO2 Web Services Framework for C (WSF/C) 1.0. The WSO2 WSF/C open source framework provides the most comprehensive, enterprise-grade open source library for providing and consuming Web services in C. A complete solution supporting the widest range of Web services (WS*-) specification implementations, it features a “wsclient” command-line tool that enables developers to use WSF/C for consuming Web services. With the availability of WSF/C, developers can experience unprecedented ease in building robust, secure, reliable Web services in C.
WSO2 WSF/C 1.0 is released under Apache License 2.0 and is based on the family of Apache open source projects, including Apache Axis2/C, Apache Rampart/C, Apache Sandesha2/C, and Apache Savan/C. By seamlessly integrating the multiple Apache projects together, WSF/C provides developers with a tested, proven platform for enterprise-class Web services that is ready to use.
WSF/C provides the basic framework on which other scripting language bindings can be built to provide and consume Web services in those languages. The first to be available is the WSO2 Web Services Framework for PHP (WSF/PHP), a binding of WSF/C into PHP. (See the WSO2 WSF/PHP press release also dated August 22, 2007 for more information.)
“The future of service-oriented architectures is one that will bring together Web services formed with a range of widely used languages – from Java to C to popular scripting languages, such as PHP, Perl and Ruby,” said Sanjiva Weerawarana, CEO of WSO2. “Our WSF/C represents a significant milestone in fostering this heterogeneity, streamlining the development of enterprise-class Web services, not only in C, but also an ever widening array of Web development language options.”
The WSO2 Web Services Framework for C supports basic Web services standards, including SOAP 1.1, SOAP 1.2, WSDL 1.1 and WSDL 2.0. It is fully tested and provides proven interoperability with Microsoft .NET, the Apache Axis2/Java-based WSO2 Web Services Application Server (WSAS), and other J2EE implementations. Key features of WSF/C 1.0 are:
- Full support for the WS*- stack includes WS-Addressing, WS-Policy, WS-Security, WS-SecurityPolicy, WS-ReliableMessaging, WS-Eventing, and SOAP Message Transmission Optimization Mechanism (MTOM).
- Web server extensions – WSO2 WSF/C can be deployed as a server-side extension within a Web server, such as Apache Web Server or Microsoft IIS. It also includes an HTTP server and can be deployed as a stand-alone server.
- Transport abstraction with the design characteristics of Axis2/C, server and client transports can be plugged in as desired. It includes an XMPP transport implementation, and developers can extend the number of supported transports using the abstraction APIs.
- XML parser abstraction lets developers plug in any XML parser, similar to the plug-in capabilities for transports.
- WSDL generation via the Axis2/Java code generation tool lets developers generate code for both WSDL 1.1 and WSDL 2.0. Data binding is also available with Axis Data Binding (ADB).
WSF/C has been tested on Windows XP with Microsoft Visual C++ versions 7.1 and 8.0, Linux GCC 4.1.1, Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahunt) GCC 3.4.3, Sun Solaris 2.10 x86 GCC 3, and MacOS 10.4.10 GCC 4.0.1.