WSO2 Booth at OSBC Will Feature Demonstrations on Using Lean, Open Source Middleware to Seamlessly Deploy Applications On-Premise and in the Cloud
Mountain View, CA – May 9, 2011 – WSO2, today announced that WSO2 Founder and CEO Dr. Sanjiva Weerawarana will speak at the Open Source Business Conference 2011 (OSBC), as part of the panel entitled “Why You Need an Open Cloud Platform to Build SaaS.” As a Gold sponsor of the event, WSO2 also will have a booth featuring demonstrations of how its lean open source middleware enables companies to seamlessly deploy applications and Web services on-premise and in the cloud. The conference is being held May 16–17, 2011 at the Hilton San Francisco Union Square in San Francisco.Implications of Open Source PaaS Platforms for SaaS Innovators
Innovators are taking advantage of open source, cloud scalability and pay-as-you-go models to reduce startup costs while supporting the explosive growth potential of their business ideas. However, even with these great tools, there are dangers and pitfalls that can derail the best-laid plans for delivering new software-as-a-service (SaaS) applications. Often the choices are to trust large platform-as-a-service (PaaS) players who ultimately extract a heavy toll through lock-in when the service starts to scale, or adopt a trust-no-one-build-it-yourself approach that carries its own risks and challenges. A panel of experienced innovators and platform providers will discuss how to avoid potential pitfalls as SaaS builders scale from tiny to gigantic.
Time: Monday, May 16, 2011, 11:40 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Moderator:Miko Matsumara is vice president of products, Kii Corporation, a provider of Smartphone and Mobile Data Cloud solutions for the world’s largest phone carriers and manufacturers. He also is the author of “SOA Adoption for Dummies”.
- Dr. Sanjiva Weerawarana is the founder and CEO of WSO2 and an Apache Software Foundation member. He also founded the non-profit Lanka Software Foundation to promote open source development, and he has served on the board of the Open Source Initiative.
- Larry Augustin is CEO of SugarCRM. He also was a driving force behind the creation of the SourceForge collaborative software development management system, and he currently serves on the boards of several companies.
- Prasad Yendluri is vice president and deputy CTO for Software AG where he is responsible for industry standards and OSS involvement oversight and adoption. A past member of several standards bodies, he currently serves on the OSGi board and is secretary of the consortium.
- Simon Phippsis CSO of ForgeRock and a director of the Open Source Initiative. He also is part of FossAlliance, a group of proven international consultants for free and open source software.
- Mark Radcliffe is a partner with DLA Piper where he offers strategic counsel on intellectual property, private financing, corporate partnering, software licensing, Internet licensing, and copyrights and trademarks.
The WSO2 booth at OSBC will feature demonstrations of how the 100% open source WSO2 Carbon and WSO2 Stratos enable IT developers to build seamlessly integrated enterprise applications and services—whether they run on local servers, public clouds, private clouds,or hybrid environments.
The award-winning WSO2 Carbon is the industry’s first fully componentized middleware platform for creating, running, and managing composite applications and Web services within a service-oriented architecture (SOA). Built on the OSGi specification, WSO2 Carbon lets developers easily deploy and customize any of its WSO2 Carbon-based middleware products, providing greater flexibility and agility to meet changing enterprise demands.
WSO2 Stratos is the industry’s first complete cloud middleware platform for rapidly building and deploying applications and services. It provides IT professionals with a fully hosted application platform as a service (PaaS) featuring instant provisioning, elasticity, and the efficiency of multi-tenancy. Because WSO2 Stratos is built on top of and extends WSO2 Carbon, applications and services can be migrated smoothly and safely on premise, to a private cloud, to the public cloud, or to a hybrid environment.About WSO2
WSO2 is the lean enterprise middleware company. It delivers the only complete open source enterprise SOA middleware stack purpose-built as an integrated platform to support today’s heterogeneous enterprise environments—internally and in the cloud. WSO2’s service and support team is led by technical experts who have proven success in deploying enterprise SOAs and contribute to the technology standards that enable them. For more information,visit http://wso2.com and the WSO2 OxygenTank developer portal at http://wso2.org, or check out WSO2 on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, WSO2 Blogsand FriendFeed.All trademarks and registered trademarks are the properties of their respective owners.