Mountain View, CA – December 16, 2009 – WSO2, the open source SOA company, today announced the debut of its new enterprise portal server, WSO2 Gadget Server. WSO2's ground-breaking new portal platform brings an easy, intuitive experience to creating portals and personalized dashboards—heralding a new way of building portals in record time. Using the same technologies employed by the highly popular iGoogle personalized homepage, WSO2 Gadget Server allows users to combine gadgets from their enterprise gadget repository, iGoogle and the Web, and even to write new gadgets using common Web standards. As a result, users can quickly customize their own dashboards to give them the information they need in real time.
WSO2 Gadget Server represents a radical departure from traditional portals based on the JSR168 Java portlet specification. Unlike the large, rigid and complex server-side portals typically used in enterprises, the lightweight, platform-independent WSO2 Gadget Server lets users quickly implement and modify a true Web-based portal that can be accessed anywhere via a browser. While IT professionals create and manage the enterprise gadget repository, authorized business users can mix and match the gadgets they want to get the updates they need. Additionally, these users can rate and comment on gadgets, sharing valuable knowledge about which gadgets best serve different requirements.
WSO2 Gadget Server is being launched today in conjunction with the debut of the WSO2 Business Activity Monitor (see today's release on WSO2 BAM for more detail). Together, the two highly complementary products complete the enterprise SOA middleware stack by providing presentation-layer solutions that give users direct visibility into the information they need from their SOAs. Like all WSO2 SOA middleware products, WSO2 BAM and WSO2 Gadget Server are based on the WSO2 Carbon componentized SOA platform, which uses the highly regarded OSGi framework to provide a flexible, modular architecture. Both products are immediately available as downloadable open source software and as WSO2 Cloud Virtual Machines.
"By offering the ease-of-use and simplicity of iGoogle in an enterprise-class product, the WSO2 Gadget Server is defining the next generation of portals," said Paul Fremantle, co-founder and CTO of WSO2. "Giving the business a dashboard into the core enterprise systems is one of the most effective uses of a well-designed SOA, and our WSO2 Gadget Server provides the most agile and effective way to do that."WSO2 Gadget Server Features
The fully open source WSO2 Gadget Server portal platform is based on the Apache Shindig project, which is the reference implementation for the Google Gadget and Open Social specifications. It also incorporates functionality from the WSO2 Governance Registry to provide users a registry for the WSO2 Gadget Server enterprise gadget repository and enable them to rate and comment on gadgets.Key features include:
- Enterprise-class portal interface. Users can organize gadgets in a familiar portal interface. Sets of gadgets can be organized using tabs; individual gadgets can be moved between tabs, and an entire tab can be cloned to form the foundation of a new tab.
- Enterprise gadget repository. Portal users can browse an enterprise gadget repository maintained by IT, add gadgets to their individual portals, and rate and comment on individual gadgets.
- Anonymous mode. Users can try out WSO2 Gadget Server and experience most of the portal's functionality, excluding the gadget repository, even before registration and sign-in. All data in this mode will be stored in the user's browser.
- Secure sign-in options. User registration and sign-up can be handled using OpenID and InfoCards in addition to the traditional user name and password-based scheme.
- Management console. The intuitive browser-based interface of the console helps IT professionals configure and manage WSO2 Gadget Server, its users, and the enterprise gadget repository.
WSO2 Gadget Server is available today as a software download and as a WSO2 Cloud Virtual Machine running on either the Amazon Elastic Computing Cloud (EC2) or VMware ESX. As a fully open source solution released under the Apache License 2.0, WSO2 Gadget Server does not carry any licensing fees. WSO2 offers a range of additional service and support options, including training, consulting, production support, and development support.