MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--WSO2, the open source SOA company, today announced the availability of the WSO2 Web Services Framework for PHP (WSF/PHP) 2.0. WSF/PHP is the industry’s only PHP scripting language library that enables developers to create and consume both SOAP and REST Web services — with the security and reliability required for an enterprise service-oriented architecture (SOA).
WSF/PHP 2.0 adds significantly expanded REST functionality, new Data Services, greater interoperability, and extended security. With WSF/PHP 2.0, developers now have a comprehensive framework for deploying PHP services that meet the strict enterprise SOA standards implemented by corporations and governments worldwide.
“WSO2 exists to enable heterogeneous SOAs, and WSF/PHP 2.0 is an important part of that mission. Through WSF/PHP 2.0, enterprises can tap an expansive community of PHP developers by giving them the first comprehensive framework for easily creating both SOAP and REST services,” said Dr. Sanjiva Weerawarana, CEO of WSO2. “With our new Data Services and expanded interoperability, WSF/PHP 2.0 also provides a critical bridge between tens of thousands of PHP Web applications and the many enterprise data sources, applications and services driving today’s enterprises.”WSF/PHP 2.0 Development, Interoperability and Security Enhancements
With full support for REST, SOAP, and WS-* specifications, WSF/PHP lets a single service be exposed both as a SOAP-style and as a REST-style service using a simple PHP-friendly programming model. WSF/PHP 1.0 provided a REST API along with support for SOAP 1.1 and 1.2, WSDL 1.1 and 2.0, and SOAP Message Transmission Optimization Mechanism (MTOM). WSF/PHP 2.0 adds a comprehensive REST framework featuring custom Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) mapping — making it easy and intuitive to map a REST API into PHP when creating a Web service.
WSF/PHP 2.0 facilitates Web service creation for the large majority of PHP Web applications that rely on databases. The new WSF/PHP Data Services solution lets developers take data in LAMP, WAMP, and other PHP-based systems and expose it as a Web service with full WS-* support. Key features include a dbs2php converter tool, and support for multiple database engines, nested queries, and WSDL generation.
Extended interoperability in WSF/PHP 2.0 makes it easier for developers to seamlessly integrate PHP applications with those based on other enterprise platforms. WSF/PHP 2.0 offers much stronger support for the latest WS-* standards, as well as increased testing against Microsoft .NET, the WSO2 WSAS, Axis2/Java, and other J2EE implementations.
WSF/PHP enterprise security and reliability includes the support for WS-Security, WS-SecurityPolicy, and WS-ReliableMessaging available with WSF/PHP 1.0. Version 2.0 of WSF/PHP adds capabilities in four areas.
- Replay detection tracks whether a message is fresh or has been previously sent, preventing replay attacks that can lead to denial of service.
- WS-Trust for issuing, renewing, and validating security tokens ensures trusted relationships.
- WS-SecureConversation support allows a series of messages (a conversation) to be protected by a single session key, improving efficiency of the operation.
- Support for the Public Key Cryptography Standards (PKCS) makes it possible for services written in WSF/PHP to handle multiple client x509 certificates simultaneously, further improving efficiency.
Other development and performance enhancements in WSF/PHP 2.0 include:
- Increased WSDL support includes tools, such as wsdl2php for contract-first development of services and clients; the ability to generate WSDLs for WSF/PHP Web services scripts; and proven support for a range of WSDL styles, including support for advanced schemas such as extensions and restrictions.
- Policy-driven design provides users with a maximum level of control by allowing developers to configure the behavior of services using policies.
- Binary data capability gives users a choice between sending and receiving binary data as attachments using either MTOM or a SOAP message with attachment (SwA). MTOM in version 2.0 has been optimized through caching, enhancing performance.
- Expanded deployment models for WSF/PHP 2.0 include several platforms — notably Linux, Windows, and Solaris — as well as seamless integration with Apache and Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) Web servers.
- Enhanced stability to ensure high availability and reliability.
With version 2.0, WSF/PHP has been tested and proven to run with Zend Core, Zend’s tested, certified and supported version of PHP, which has been widely adopted by enterprises for their production PHP environments. WSF/PHP 2.0 is being launched in conjunction with ZendCon 2008; the Zend/PHP conference runs September 15-18, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. WSO2 will demonstrate WSF/PHP 2.0 at the Microsoft ZendCon booth.
“Zend and WSO2 are mutually dedicated to serving the diverse needs of PHP developers with world-class open-source software for implementing Web services,” said Andi Gutmans, CTO and co-founder at Zend Technologies. “By bringing support for both enterprise-oriented WS-* and REST Web services to our managed PHP production environment, WSO2 joins us in empowering the developers supporting more than 20 million PHP websites with unprecedented flexibility for delivering enterprise-class Web services.”WSF/PHP 2.0 Webinar
WSO2 will present a free webinar, “Introducing Enterprise Web Services with WSO2 WSF/PHP 2.0,” which will review how to take advantage of the new REST functionality and WSF/PHP Data Services support. The webinar will run from 9:00-10:00 a.m. Pacific on Tuesday, September 23, 2008. Presenting the webinar will be Selvaratnam Uthaiyashankar, a WSO2 software architect and lead developer of the WSO2 Web Services Frameworks. For more information, visit: http://wso2.com/about/news/wsf-php-sep-08-webinar/.Availability and Support
The WSO2 Web Services Framework for PHP 2.0 is available for download today. As a fully open source solution released under the Apache License 2.0, it does not carry any software licensing or subscription fees. WSO2 offers a range of service and support options for WSF/PHP 2.0. These include support subscriptions, training, consulting, custom development and development support. For information on service and support packages, visit http://wso2.com.