Want to host your APIs in Europe, Asia or South America? We are now starting to let API Cloud customer select regional gateways around the globe to which they want to publish their APIs.
When API Cloud launched initially there was only one location – AWS US East datacenter – in which you could publish your APIs. This has been a problem for some of our global customers for two reasons:
- Regulations: while API gateway does not store any end-user data and is merely enforcing policies and passing the calls to the backend, some companies would like to be on the safe side in terms of compliance and keep not just the backend but also the gateway within their jurisdiction,
- Performance: if both your backend service and your subscribers are in Australia, having the gateway in the US adds the extra hop to the other side of the globe and the corresponding wait for API consumers.
Today we are excited to announce the availability of API Cloud across the globe.
The following datacenter locations are available:
- US East,
- US West,
- Brazil (São Paulo),
- EU (Ireland),
- EU (Frankfurt, Germany),
- Tokyo, Japan,
- Sydney, Australia,
- Seoul, South Korea,
- Mumbai, India,
- Beijing, China.
Depending on your API Cloud subscription level, you are able to pick the datacenters that would host your APIs:
|Starter||Getting Traction||Medium||Large||Extra Large|
|US East only||Pick any datacenter of choice||Up to 3 datacenters||Up to 7 datacenters||Unlimited number of AWS datacenters of choice|
How it works
- You submit a request by filing an API Cloud support ticket and tell us in which regions you would like your gateway to be placed and the custom URL you would like to be used,
- We work with you on configuring DNS. The following options are available:
- All traffic by default routed to a specific regional gateway: for example, a European company might decide that all traffic should go through a gateway in EU.
- Traffic is routed based on geographic location: European consumers are routed to European hub, Australian – to Australian, and so on.
- In addition to this default routing, we can set up gateway URLs specific to regional gateways so you can give your subscribers direct URLs to target your API gateways in the US, Europe, Brazil, Australia, Singapore, India, China, and so on.
Pricing and Availability
There is no extra cost for this feature as long as the number of datacenters you use is within the limits of your subscription level.
The feature is available now to all paying API Cloud customers.
If you are interested in having your APIs hosted in datacenters other than US East – just click the Support menu in API Cloud and let us know. We will be happy to make this configuration change for you.