Careers - Sri Lanka
We are looking for a technical writer who can write documentation and training content for system administrators, data integration engineers, application developers, and end users. This is a hands-on opportunity to work on documentation and training content for several products, develop innovative approaches to integrating the documentation into the product, and incorporate external content such as blog posts. This job is NOT just a copy-editing position, nor will you just be writing reference documentation and how the software works. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who works to understand the technical details, has a deep curiosity to learn how users want to solve problems with our products, and writes documentation to answer the question “why” and not just “how.”
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience as a full-time technical writer, documenting large, complex software applications.
- Must be highly self-motivated and work like an investigative journalist, doing what it takes to “get the story” with minimum support.
- Proven track record of consolidating multiple sources such as the source code, blog posts and interviewing engineers in person or remotely, and distilling the information into useful content that is relevant to users and focuses on how to solve problems, not just how the software works.
- High commitment to quality and the continual improvement of documentation standards, processes, and procedures.
- Experience with bug tracking and source control systems.
- Experience with Confluence or other Wiki-based documentation is a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of best practices and methodologies related to creating documentation, including single-sourcing and localization.
- Excellent copy-editing skills and the ability to convey technical subject matter clearly and concisely in American English.
- Ability to plan, estimate, and shift priorities on-the-fly in an agile development environment.
- Knowledge of middleware, SOA, XML, Web services, and open source concepts and databases are a big plus.
- Experience working in a global environment and ability to reach across time zones for communication.
- Create high-quality documentation with minimal supervision.
- Work closely with developers and product management, comb the user forums and defect-tracking system to gain information to develop best practices and scenario-based documentation.
- Create training materials and videos.
- Participate in a team environment, including bug hunts and design reviews.
- Become an expert on assigned applications, contribute to the user forum, and verify existing documentation against the application.