[Carbon-dev] Usability Improvements - Forms

Chanaka Jayasena chanaka at wso2.com
Wed Jun 22 01:09:27 EDT 2011

Hi all,

We are planning to improve the forms generally considering usability aspects
in all products.

1 . Look and feeling of the forms.
We have differences in the layout and look and feeling of forms in different
UI components. Since this is taking away overall consistency in our user
interfaces, we need to define standards and stick to those in all our UI
components.

2. Validation
I think we can improve client side validation by following some of the best
practices listed on the following article.
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/07/07/web-form-validation-best-practices-and-tutorials/
 In-fact we have a validation framework built in to our UI core, which
implement some of these concepts. But it's only used for the proxy service
UI component. Plan is to extend this to all the other components as well.

3. Autocomplete
We are using autocomplete feature in registry search UI component. I think
it will be good if we can reuse this on other components as well, when
ever suitable.

4. Inline help and tips.
Place a helpful icon right next to each field which are not self explaining.

5. Default text for text boxes.

I prepared several screen shots with Amal using two different UI components
to present these ideas. But we are not clear about when to start these
improvements.

thanks,
Chanaka