Building Business Platforms Using an API Driven Marketplace
Business platforms are fast becoming the de-facto business model for large-scale digital innovation. The success of unicorn businesses such as Uber and Airbnb that continue to disrupt traditional established markets is proof that business platforms are here to stay!
Building a sustainable platform goes beyond just technology. Ensuring digital innovation, participation and agility from both internal and external stakeholders of a platform requires platform design that takes into account the needs of producers and consumers of services and solves them via a technology platform.
Business platforms should connect just as a value network and business functionality should be re-composable. APIs are a key part of this platform-driven digital innovation, enabling organizations to expose internal assets in a unified and a governed manner to various stakeholders whilst enabling the community to build innovative applications that consume these services.
This workshop will explore:
- The power of the platform business model and case studies around them
- How API marketplaces play a role in digital innovation through concepts such as managed APIs, rate limiting, security, monetization, analytics, social feedback and making the API program part of the delivery pipeline
- Reference architecture of a modern API marketplace
- An implementation roadmap
- Framework for onboarding users and evangelizing the API marketplace