Building Business Platforms Using an API Driven Marketplace
Business platforms are fast becoming the de-facto business model for large scale digital innovation. The success of unicorn businesses such as Uber and Airbnb that continue to disrupt traditional established markets is proof that business platforms are here to stay!
Building a sustainable platform goes beyond just technology. Ensuring digital innovation, participation and agility from both internal and external stakeholders of a platform requires platform design that takes into account the needs of producers and consumers of services and solves them via a technology platform.
Business platforms should connect like a value network and business functionality should be recomposable. APIs are a key part of this platform-driven digital innovation, enabling organizations to expose internal assets in a unified and a governed manner to various stakeholders whilst enabling the community to build innovative applications that consume these services.
This workshop will explore:
- The power of the platform business model and case studies around them
- How API marketplaces play a role in digital innovation through concepts such as managed APIs, rate limiting, security, monetization, analytics, social feedback and making the API program part of the delivery pipeline
- Reference architecture of a modern API marketplace
- An implementation roadmap
- Framework for on-boarding users and evangelizing the API marketplace