Quick Start Guide
How FHIR® application developers can simply start consuming secured FHIR® APIs
This step-by-step guide walks you through the WSO2 Healthcare Integration Platform.
The following components are exposed in this sandbox to try out.
The API Developer Portal is a web interface where developers can discover, evaluate, subscribe to, and consume APIs.
Note: Some functions, which are available by default in the Developer Portal (such as registering applications and subscribing to APIs), are restricted in this sandbox environment.
For more information about the Developer Portal’s features and capabilities, please refer to our documentation at https://apim.docs.wso2.com/en/latest/getting-started/overview/#developer-portal
The FHIR® server is a runtime component that serves API requests.
|Gateway base URL||https://fhir-open.sandbox-healthcare.wso2.com/gw/api|
For more information about the API Gateway, please refer to our documentation at https://apim.docs.wso2.com/en/latest/getting-started/overview/#api-gateway
The Sandbox consists of sample applications that demonstrate the usage of FHIR® APIs using sample applications developed on top of FHIR® APIs exposed using the WSO2 Healthcare Integration Platform.
For more information refer to Sample FHIR® Applications.
To access the sandbox, a user must request access from the WSO2 Healthcare Integration team. After reviewing the request, the team will grant access and email the credentials (please note that credentials are fixed), including sample application user credentials.
- Visit Healthcare Integration Platform web site and click “TRY IT OUT”. Registration for will popup
- Provide relevant information and click “SUBMIT”. WSO2 Healthcare Integration team will review your application and email you user credentials to the Developer portal and sample user credentials.
Discovering and Invoking APIs
Once users receive the sandbox credentials, they can be used to log in to the Developer Portal.
- Navigate to the Developer Portal to view the available APIs.
- Click “SIGN-IN”
- You will be redirected to a login page. Fill the form with the credentials emailed to you and click “Continue”.
- Click the selected API; you will be directed to an overview page that contains details of the API.
- Select the “Production and Sandbox” dropdown under the Gateway Environments section in the overview to retrieve the API’s base URL.
- Then, click ”Applications” to view a list of applications.
- A list of applications owned or shared with you will be listed in the view. Note the “SharedSandboxApp” in the applications list. It is the pre-created shared application subscribed to all the APIs deployed in the Sandbox
- Once you click on the application, you will be directed to the overview page.
- Click “Production Keys” to view OAuth-related keys and secrets of the shared application.
- You will be directed to a page with the application’s OAuth details.
- Click “GENERATE ACCESS TOKEN” to generate OAuth access token to invoke the API.
- The following popup will appear. Click “GENERATE” to generate the access token.
- Copy the generated token.
- Now you can use your favorite HTTP Client and invoke tha API. For example, if you use Postman, you can do the following.
Note: API subscription capabilities are disabled in this sandbox.
Note: Application creation capabilities are disabled in this sandbox.
Sample FHIR® Applications
This sample application demonstrates how patients can view Insurance Claim information from the FHIR® ExplamationOfBenefit API exposed by a payer.
Use Case - Sequence Diagram
FHIR® EoB API Implementation
The Insurance-One application is based on the FHIR® ExplamationOfBenefit API. The ExplamationOfBenefit API is developed on a database containing claim data, which is typically used in a payer’s internal IT system. The data stored in the database are exposed as FHIR® Resources using integration capabilities available in the WSO2 Healthcare Integration Platform, without affecting or altering the existing system.
How to Use the Insurance-One Application
- Navigate to the URL: https://fhir-open.sandbox-healthcare.wso2.com/applications/insurance-one/
- Click “LOGIN” and you will be redirected to the login page.
- Use the sample application user credentials, which were emailed to you, to login to the application.
- Then you will be directed to the home page of the application.
- In the top you can find the Patient Identification ID of the user logged in. Click “GET MY BENEFITS”, to retrieve patient claim benefits from the FHIR® EoB API
- List of benefit will get listed as follows
- Click on a specific claim row to view more details about the claim
- More detailed information about claim will be listed below the table
- You can view the rest calls made by the application to the FHIR® API and the response by clicking the cog icon in the top right corner
- Console view