WSO2 partners with mobile entrepreneur in creating new subsidiary to deliver an enterprise mobile platform that builds on WSO2 enterprise and cloud middleware
Palo Alto, CA – March 20, 2013
– Mobile computing has triggered an explosion of new opportunities for enterprises to provide more flexibility for employees, engage with customers and partners, drive greater efficiencies, and create new revenue streams. However, the cost and complexity of implementing secure, agile enterprise mobile systems have hindered IT organizations’ ability to act on these opportunities. Today,
announced a new subsidiary, WSO2Mobile, to deliver an enterprise mobile platform that will address these challenges.
has been created in partnership with Harsha Purasinghe, who will serve as founder and CEO of the WSO2 subsidiary. Harsha is the founder of Microimage and Microimage Mobile Media, and a successful entrepreneur with two decades of technology and management experience in enterprise software architecture and mobile technologies. Under Harsha’s leadership, Microimage Mobile Media has gained wide recognition, including the GSM Asia Mobile Innovation Award in 2006 and a commendation at the GSM World Awards in Barcelona, Spain in 2007. Harsha will remain the chairman of Microimage and Microimage Mobile Media.
“Increasingly, mobile computing is a core component of the IT strategies being adopted by our enterprise customers worldwide,” said Dr. Sanjiva Weerawarana, WSO2 founder and CEO. “Harsha brings a comprehensive vision about mobility in the enterprise, backed by deep technical expertise and proven entrepreneurial success in launching and building technology companies. With Harsha at the helm of WSO2Mobile, we are well positioned to deliver a state-of-the-art enterprise mobile platform that builds on the comprehensive, open and modular capabilities of our award-winning enterprise and cloud middleware.”
Joining WSO2Mobile as director of architecture is Shan Shamugarajah, who has served as director and CTO at Microimage Mobile Media.
WSO2Mobile Enterprise Mobility Platform
WSO2Mobile is chartered with building and delivering the WSO2Mobile Enterprise Mobility Platform to solve the mobile computing challenges enterprises face today, including:
- Securely provisioning stakeholders’ devices of choice to support bring-your-own-device (BYOD) policies, as well as manage mobile application security.
- Providing mobile access to ERP, CRM and other enterprise applications—while offering the same user experience as consumer mobile applications via an app store.
- Mobilizing business processes and providing analytics—ranging from device management to application usage—to all respective stakeholders.
- Enabling backend integration to access various data sources, from legacy systems to cloud-based services.
- Managing the entire mobile application lifecycle from design to build, test, pre-production and post-production.
The WSO2Mobile Enterprise Mobility Platform will feature a suite of lean, integrated enterprise mobileware that includes mobile device management, a mobile enterprise application store, API gateway, enterprise service bus (ESB), complete platform analytics, and cross-platform application development and lifecycle management—including a complete mobile backend as a service (MBaaS) capability stack. The products will build on the WSO2 Carbon enterprise middleware
platform, which is fully componentized and cloud-enabled, and the WSO2 Stratos platform as a service
(PaaS) foundation. As a result, enterprises will have seamlessly integrated middleware solutions from WSO2 to address their enterprise, cloud and mobile demands.
“While running Microimage Mobile Media, it readily became apparent that enterprises needed a layer of mobile middleware running below our software to manage their growing use of mobile devices and applications,” said Harsha Purasinghe, founder and CEO of WSO2Mobile. “Only WSO2 provides the flexible, agile and comprehensive platform on which to build the mobile middleware these enterprises demand. The platform, combined with the WSO2 team’s deep management and technology expertise, makes WSO2Mobile the ideal venture for delivering on our shared vision for enterprise mobile computing.”
WSO2Mobile, a subsidiary of WSO2 Inc., is focused on delivering a complete suite of lean enterprise mobileware to solve the mobile computing challenges faced by enterprises today. The WSO2Mobile Enterprise Mobility Platform will build on the comprehensive, open and modular capabilities of WSO2's award-winning enterprise and cloud middleware. A successful entrepreneur backed by technical experts in the mobile technology domain leads WSO2Mobile. To learn more, visit: http://wso2mobile.com
WSO2 is the lean enterprise middleware company. It delivers the only complete open source enterprise SOA middleware stack purpose-built as an integrated platform to support today’s heterogeneous enterprise environments—internally and in the cloud. WSO2’s service and support team is led by technical experts who have proven success in deploying enterprise SOAs and contribute to the technology standards that enable them. For more information, visit http://wso2.com
or check out the WSO2 community on the WSO2 Blog
, and FriendFeed.