WSO2 Carbon redefines middleware by providing an integrated and componentized middleware platform that adapts to the specific needs of any enterprise IT project – on premise or in the cloud.
100% open source and standards-based, WSO2 Carbon enables developers to rapidly orchestrate business processes, compose applications and develop services using WSO2 Developer Studio and a broad range of business and technical services that integrate with legacy, packaged and SaaS applications.
The lean, complete, OSGi-based platform includes more than 175 components – OSGi bundles or Carbon features. The WSO2 Carbon core framework functions as “Eclipse for servers” and includes common capabilities shared by all WSO2 products, such as built-in registry, user management, transports, security, logging, clustering, caching and throttling services, co-ordination, and a GUI framework.
Powering Core Enterprise SOA Functionality
- Mechanisms to provide and consume services, message mediation, service orchestration, service governance, business process management and service monitoring.
- Support for EDA, MDA, and other enterprise integration patterns
- Support for industry standards such as WS-*, REST and other binary and non-binary protocols
- In-built Quality of Service (QoS) capabilities such as security, reliable messaging, and throttling
Extend From On-premise to Cloud
- Deploy the same code in both a standalone Carbon server as well in the WSO2 Stratos cloud platform
- Create multi-tenant aware applications via the Carbon API without worrying about underlying complexities
- Supports highly available deployments
- Horizontal scaling via clustering with stateless server architecture
- Dynamic discovery of services using WS-Discovery
- Lazy loading via ghost deployers
- Apache Zookeeper based co-ordination support
Synchronize artifacts across product clusters
- Apache Subversion (SVN) based deployment Synchronizer to manage the deployment artifacts for both products and services.
- Additionally supports WSO2 Governance Registry as a repository
- Large number of server artifacts can be deployed easily in one go
Manage users across any Carbon based product
- Supports authentication and role-based authorization
- Supports pluggable heterogeneous user stores such as LDAP, Active Directory, and JDBC, using custom extension points
Governance Registry Integration
- Govern and monitor large-scale deployments, including clustered servers and cloud implementations
- Applied across the entire WSO2 Carbon middleware platform
- Supports the standard J-cache AP
- Tested and proven in distributed environments for boosted performance
Easily Extensible and Future-Proof
- OSGi-based extensibility allows patching on the fly
- Components not in use today can be plugged in as and when IT infrastructure demands it
- Checkbox user interface where you start with a lean core and click to add the functionality you need—choosing from among more than 175 features
- Equinox P2 provisioning identifies any dependencies and ensures that all necessary components such as additional management user interfaces are included