Today is a huge step forward for us: we are rolling out on-premises API gateways. With this feature, you can have the best of both worlds:
- API Cloud hosts the web user interfaces (both for API publishing and for API subscribers), configuration, and analytics,
- You download and install in your network the API Gateway component, which then gets its configuration from the cloud and starts serving the APIs and proxying the calls.
- Performance: you can put your API gateway close to your backend services and API subscribers thus avoiding the costly extra hops to the cloud and back,
- Security and Compliance: API call and payload data does not leave your network and this keeps your security and compliance officers happy,
- Connectivity: your API gateway is running locally so you do not have to set up VPN or another way of exposing your backend to the internet,
- Low Total Cost of Ownership (TCO): Most of the infrastructure is run and maintained by WSO2 for you.