How Does IoT and Mobility Help Digital Transformation?
By Jonathan Marsh
- 22 Aug, 2017
IoT and mobility expand the possibilities for improving customer experience, operational efficiencies, or introducing new digital business models. As more applications go mobile, experiences are placed where users can encounter them at the right time, and access a wealth of data from connected sensors, managing devices becomes a core requirement for your digital transformation platform. You need the ability to easily add new devices to the system, communicate with them, secure them properly, and manage them throughout their lifecycle. WSO2 IoT Server extend the WSO2 digital transformation platform with those capabilities.
Name your industry
WSO2 IoT offers a flexible and scalable system for managing devices in transformative solutions across many industry sectors:
- Connected products – smart products, wearables, appliances, and automobiles introduce a new level of capability, service, loyalty, and ongoing revenue from consumers.
- Industrial internet – instrument industrial equipment, assembly lines, and entire factories to provide a wealth of actionable data, improve efficiencies, predict problems such as likely maintenance needs, increase overall output, and reduce costs.
- Smart spaces - manage facility security and health to better serve human occupants – while saving operational costs.
- Logistics and tracking - generate a vast amount of valuable data by connecting to vehicles fitted with sensors; build sophisticated fleet management solutions, leveraging smart analytics to gain insights into inefficiencies, real time.
- Smart homes – integrate devices from various manufacturers into a system that can be controlled remotely, through alternate interfaces such as voice, or by automation and predictive behaviors.
- Connected healthcare – monitor hospital facilities, medical devices, home monitors, and wearable sensors to reduce cost and improve outcomes for patients.
- Smart cities – instrument public and private services to create systems that achieve a new level of transparency, convenience, and efficiency for residents.
Secure your assets on mobile
WSO2 IoT provides a mobile device management and mobile application management platform (also known as enterprise mobility management or EMM). As your innovative digital experiences expose more sensitive data to employees through mobile devices, the necessity to provide some control over those devices grows. With WSO2 IoT, you can enroll corporate-owned (COPE) or employee’s personal devices (BYOD) and define role-based security policies and monitoring, including passcode and encryption policies, remote wipe, camera use, location tracking and geofence alerts. WSO2 IoT can automatically distribute common enterprise applications and settings such as WiFi and VPN to devices to enhance employee productivity. Android, iOS, and Windows phones and tablets are all supported.
Many organizations are transforming the simple sign into a dynamic digital and interactive experience. Some examples - consumer point-of-purchase displays, resource and status displays and tracking dashboards, live pricing or menus, and kiosk-based automated service. IoT displays are centrally managed, automated, and situationally responsive. They reflect changing digital information in the physical world, and open up new opportunities for innovative experiences and products. What could become the equivalent of the ATM in your industry? What would dynamic or customized pricing mean to your business? How can you ensure essential status information is never out of date?
Android displays (tablets to flat-screen TVs or TV controllers) are a popular choice with COSU (Corporate Owned Single Use) or kiosk mode. WSO2 IoT offers simple provisioning and enrollment, remote distribution of applications and associated content, and centralized management and remote monitoring and diagnosis.
Data-informed decision making
The more data you have, the smarter you can be. IoT devices offer a source of relevant data and ensure your digital models and system align with the real world. IoT data can help you build better models of behavior for your system, whether it be an environment, a set of machinery, or even a group of people. WSO2’s streaming analytics identifies patterns in this data in real time and converts it into responsive action.