How to run Rampart Samples with Apache Tomcat
- By Ruchith Fernando
- 28 Sep, 2008
- Apache Rampart - 1.4
- Apache Axis2 - 1.4.1
You need to have the following to try this:
- Apache Axis2 Standard Binary Distribution (Version 1.4.1)
- Apache Axis2 WAR (Web Archive) Distribution (Version 1.4.1)
- Apache Rampart Standard Binary Distribution (Version 1.4)
- Apache Tomcat
- Apache Ant
- Make sure you have patched your JRE with Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction Policy Files.
The policy/sample03 of Apache Rampart samples will be used to demonstrate this. You can use the same steps to deploy and run other samples as well.
Extract Apache Axis2 war distribution and copy axis2.war into the "webapps" directory of Apache Tomcat.
Stop Apache Tomcat.
Extract Apache Axis2 Standard binary distribution and Apache Rampart standard binary distribution and,
- Download and copy bcprov-jdk**-140.jar from bouncycastle.org to <extracted-rampart-dist>/lib/
- Set AXIS2_HOME environment variable to the extracted Apache Axis2 Standard binary distribution directory.
- Run 'ant' from the samples directory to copy all required jars into the <extracted-rampart-dist>/lib to setup classpath to run the clients.
- Update the addressing.mar property of build.xml file of samples/policy to :
- To build the service archive, change directory to <extracted-rampart-dist>/samples/policy/ and do
$ 'ant service.03'
This will start the simple axis2 server, you can simply stop it using Ctrl+C.
If you have Apache Tomcat started at this point there might be a conflict of ports when axis2 server is trying to start!
Now we have the client and the service ready! Lets move the secured service to the Axis2 instance in Tomcat.
- Make sure Tomcat not running
- Copy all jar files in <extracted-rampart-dist>/lib/ directory to <tomcat>/webapps/axis2/WEB-INF/lib/
- Copy rampart-1.4.mar to <tomcat>/webapps/axis2/WEB-INF/modules/
- Copy <extracted-rampart-dist>/samples/policy/build/service_repositories/sample03/services/sample03.aar into <tomcat>/webapps/axis2/WEB-INF/services/
- Note that the required keys are packed with the service archive.
- Start Apache Tomcat!
- If you are running tomcat on port 8080 you should be able to point your browser to https://localhost:8080/axis2/services/listServices and verify that the secured service is successfully hosted!
Step 4: Running the client
- Simply change directory to "<extracted-rampart-dist>/samples/policy/" and do
$ ant client.03
Ruchith Fernando, ruchithf AT apache.org