Today, digital transformation is taking over almost every business operation. Owing to this, APIs are becoming ever more popular. The global cloud API market is estimated to reach USD 1,786.1 million by 2026.
API management comprises a wide array of business applications, such as internal deployments, shared libraries, B2B/B2B services, productizing services, and monetization. WSO2 API Manager—which has continually evolved over the past 6+ years—is capable of addressing the needs in the modern API management market as. Its capabilities include support for both monolithic and microservices architectures, identity management, data-driven analytics, development tooling, and monetization.
With WSO2 API Manager, it is possible to develop API management solutions for various scenarios because it offers the flexibility to create fully-functional, scalable deployments in both monolithic and microservices-based deployments. It is a 100% open-source API management solution that supports all on-premises, hybrid, or cloud deployments.
Our vision for API Management is to help organizations expose their services to internal consumers, external consumers, and partners in a secure, controlled and monitored environment. In doing so we want to enable.
- API developers - to develop, test, deploy APIs and repeat as easy, flexible and fast as possible on cloud, multi-cloud, hybrid-cloud and on-premises infrastructures.
- API product managers - to productize, monetize and manage the lifecycle of APIs and to get deep business insights about API consumer patterns and trends.
- Application developers - to search, discover, learn and test APIs and develop applications with ease.
- API users - to be able to get access to their data and services in a secure environment, which guarantees privacy and confidentiality and enables fair usage to all.
- Operation specialists - to be able to easily scale API infrastructures on demand, apply upgrades with ease and easily integrate with CI/CD tools for better operational efficiency.
As the world embraces microservices as the upcoming norm of enterprise architecture, our vision is to enable the surrounding API ecosystem which empowers architects and developers alike to build secure scalable solutions adhering to the principles of microservices.
In doing so the WSO2 API Manager will evolve to seamlessly integrate with service mesh solutions such as Istio, Linkerd, service registries such as etcd, consul and naturally integrate with containers and container orchestration solutions such as Docker, Kubernetes.
Another key objective is to stay focused on the agility of the developer/integrator workflow in this process. With the rise of microservices driving an exponential growth in programmable endpoints, our vision is that API Management needs to better blend into standard service development and management lifecycles.
Finally, we are driving a strategic priority to support cell-based architecture patterns and serverless API gateways to enable short-lived, dynamic APIs and composable customized API gateways.